Zesty Shrimp Enchilada Casserole
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds, raw, peeled, deveined, (20-25 per pound) shrimp
- 8 medium (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 jar Amalia's Cocina Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cups, shredded, Monterey Jack cheese
- 1- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, add onions to pan and sauté 1 minute. Add shrimp. Sauté shrimp, turning over once, until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. With spoon, transfer shrimp and onion mixture to a large bowl to cool enough to handle. Once cool, transfer to cutting board and roughly chop shrimp mixture, place back in bowl.
Add jar of Amalia's Cocina Enchilada Sauce to skillet and warm through.
In another bowl mix cheese, cream cheese and sour cream together trying to get it as smooth as possible.
Spread 1/2 cup of warm sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Taking four tortillas, one at a time, dip tortilla in sauce covering thoroughly and layer on the bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups of shrimp mixture, dallop1 cup of cheese mixture, spreading as evenly as possible and sprinkle 1/2cup of the yellow peppers. Any remaining ingredients can be sprinkled on top. Bake until bubbly around edges, approximately 30 minutes.