Chili Con Carne - Our Way
- 4 Tbs vegetable oil, divided
- 4 lbs (after trimming) beef chuck roast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 medium onions
- 1 jar Amalia's Cocina Tamale Sauce
- 1 small, dark beer (10oz)
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbs tomato paste
- 3 tbs masa (corn tortilla mix or masa harina)
- Coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped scallions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add 1/3 beef; sprinkle with salt. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer beed to large bowl. Repeat two more times with 2 tablespoons oil and beef.
Reduce heat to medium. Add 1 tablespoon oil and onions. Saute until soft, 8-10 minutes. Add jar of sauce and stir, add beer, stir 1 minute scraping sides of pot. Add tomatoes with juice, 2 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid slightly ajar and simmer gently until beef is just tender, 1-3/4-2 hours. Cool 1 hour, then chill uncovered until cold. Cover; chill overnight.
Spoon fat from chili. Bring chili to simmer over medium heat. Stir in tomato paste. Sprinkle masa over; stir to blend. Simmer uncovered until thickened and beef is very tender, stirring often, and adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls if too thick, about 30 minutes. Divide chili between bowls and garnish as you like. Enjoy!