Amalia's Tamale Pie
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 2 cups Amalia's Cocina Tamale Sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 box (8-1/2 oz) corn muffin mix
- 1 can (8-1/2 oz) cream-style corn
- 1 can (4-1/2 oz) chopped green chiles
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 1 large egg
Cook beef and 3/4 scallions in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes, breaking up beef with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink. Stir in Tamale sauce, beans and water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 -12 minutes to develop flavors and thicken sauce slightly.
Meanwhile mix muffin mix, corn, chiles, milk, cheese, egg and remaining 1/4 cup scallions (mixture will be soupy).
Spoon muffin mixture over beef mixture in skillet to cover. Cover skillet with lid and continue simmering 12- 14 minutes until top looks dry and a pick inserted in topping comes out with slightly moist crumbs.
Top with favorite Mexican condiments (sour cream, guacamole or salsa).